December 6, 2011

Admiring Muscle Cars and Peddling Old Stuff - Autorama Houston




While picking for antiques and collectibles I don’t accumulate as much odd and interesting miscellaneous as I use to. However, over the course of a year I do pick up a fair number of items that qualify as desirable to some degree. When enough excess stuff piles up I seek out a venue or avenue to sell and recoup some nickels and dimes with the prospect of making a little profit. Since I usually don’t have much money in what I’m selling I keep prices low and reel in ones and twos at a time. A dollar here and there over a day of selling adds up to more than a six pack and hamburger. In other words it’s worth my while.

Since my last post I rode upon the coat tails of a classic car show that hosts a swap meet for those who sell interesting old stuff like I do. I moved into the George Brown convention center on a Wednesday and creatively decorated a 10x20 space full of everything from old records to advertising to beer cans etc. etc. From Thursday to Sunday I peddled goods to gear heads and nostalgia lovers of all types with most items going for less than $5. Over the course of the event I got to know George Washington well. He made 12 concrete standing hours a day worthwhile and I left with a lot less stuff than I arrived with. Not to mention I had fun.

As a swap meet vendor I got in an hour early each day before the show opened. I cruised the floor each morning viewing as fine a collection of Muscle Cars one could ever imagine seeing. Shelby’s, Goats, Super Bee’s, and Mopar’s just to name a few. It’s Hemi heaven and rat rod bliss with afternoon burn sessions out back. Autorama is a choice no B.S. event which draws a nice crowd. That's why I like it.


1 comment:

Ali said...

WOW Such a beautiful picture Thanks for sharing.
Houston cars