August 9, 2011

3 Days - 3 Migraines

Once again I’ve fallen behind on the blog so here’s some posts to catch up. Not to make excuses but between being busy with the Yoga festival, a series of migraines and dubious internet access blogging has not been easy.

I’m currently in Lewes, England. It’s a 3 ½ hour ferry hop from France. When I arrived it was windy, cold, but partly sunny. Yesterday,later in the morning, for the third day in a row I developed a visual migraine.
It starts out of nowhere with a flash in my vision. I then feel a rush of adrenalin as my sight becomes distorted with flashing squiggly lines etc. The visual affects can last anywhere from ten minutes to an hour and a half. I’ve never had consecutive migraines before and can go for months without getting one so three in a row is a bit strange for me. I really think it’s an accumulation of time on the road and the fact that the Yoga Festival wore me down so much.

The first migraine happened as I was preparing to leave the festival grounds. The second one happened as I sat outside the Cathedral in Chartes, France. The third as I sat outside in Lewes around mid morning. Many things can trigger a migraine but certain foods, stress, and lack of sleep are the most common culprits. Aside of disrupted sleep patterns my diet has been quite different and vegetarian ever since arriving at the Yoga Festival. One of my theories is that I’m not getting enough of the right kind of protein. I ate chicken last night and today for lunch. I think it’s making a difference. Fortunately, all three migraines have been relatively mild with 20 minute visual disturbances followed by a very light headache that passes within a couple of hours. Relatively speaking, I’m very lucky all things considered. They have the potential to be much worse.

Needless to say I’m feeling a bit out of sorts. I’m in need of some familiarity and normalcy in relation to me, so, I trotted down to a pub for a pint of Real Ale. That’s where I’m at now and it seems to be doing some good. The vintage soul music flowing out of the speaker to my right doesn’t hurt either.

I’m a little unsure what my next direction will be but I do think some walking would do me some good. For the moment I'm taking it easy.

No comments: