August 10, 2010

A More Contemplative Walk






Yesterday I sat down with my lunch under shade provided by a six foot stone base supporting a medieval christian cross outside a 13th century cathedral. Mass had just started and I could hear the singing from inside. The music was contemplative and melancholy but peaceful and beautiful. It's quite a change from the Yoga festival.

When I hiked the Camino in Spain two years ago I had a great appreciation for the historical significance of the Pilgrimage but did not feel a particularly deep spiritual connection. Now that I'm back on the Camino in France I'm sensing more of the spiritual. Although I'm not particularly attracted to Catholicism, nor do I consider myself religious, Christianity is the foundation of my faith. It's what I know and relate to the most and its an integral part of my life. More so than people realize.

On this journey I'm finding the most pleasure out of just walking and contemplating. My pack feels heavier and more cumbersome than ever and I can't figure out why? As I walked today I thought of it as a bundle of burdens, old patterns, and an assortment of things that slow me down or hold me back. My pack is full of items I'm sure I need but if I were to take a different approach towards my walk the pack could be lighter. As it is now I'm totally independent with tent, stove, and necessary items. I'm fully prepared to do everything my way and travel cheap to boot. Now, if I were to rid myself of an item or two it would lighten the load and change the experience. A lighter load naturally leads to an easier walk. Don't get me wrong. I pack my pack well and the average person might be impressed by how I manage but the fact is I know I could do much better. I'd just have to make some choices and learn to travel a little differently.

No comments: