July 26, 2010

Yoga Festival - Setup Continues





Sunday July 25,

Setup continues on the grounds of the European Yoga Festival but the time is nearing when our work will be done. On Tuesday at 3 pm all of us on the set up will crew drop our tools and are free to do as we please for the entire festival. When it ends I’ll be obligated to work two days with cleanup then I’ll be done.

For the last week the set up crew has had the run of the place and the Chateau grounds have been very peaceful. The work has been a bit of a grind at times but the pace relaxed. Jerome, the supervisor, has kept things fun with his relaxed but not too relaxed management style coupled with British humor.

The crew is really a great bunch of people and working with them has allowed me to feel like I’m a part of something. When at home, I pretty much do everything on my own. Aside of social events with the running club I don’t really feel a part of anything. For the past week I’ve been pretty much living a communal lifestyle. Working with the same people every day and eating all of our meals together at the same time has created a family like environment.

Today, Sunday, the atmosphere is beginning to change. Event managers are showing up as well as some early campers. The wide open grounds are slowly being filled with tents and German is being spoken more and more. Jerome says we are getting ready for a German invasion as Germans make up the largest percentage of participants. As I always say. Where one German goes, many follow.

Given how much time I’ve spent on the grounds, during setup, I’m thinking I’ll probably skip a couple of days of the actual 8 day festival to check out some area sites.

No comments: