June 9, 2010

A Different Kind of Post - Deadline to Creativity

It's been almost 6 months since I've returned from SE Asia and I'm preparing for another outing. My plans are quite loose at this point. I'm hoping my approach will inspire good topics for the blog as I've been drifting through a creative wasteland for a while now. For the few that actually follow my blog its been noticeably sparse. Amidst it all I find myself in a state of flux and transition. I will use this upcoming adventure as a catalyst for a different approach towards the in between. The in between is the time I spend in the gaps that divide travels.

Although I've devised a creative existence I feel like I'm falling short in the area of using my gifts. Recently I plowed through writings, photos, music recordings and actual films of what I was doing around the time of college. A good friend remarked, not long ago, that when he first met in college I was one of the most creative people he knew but now he wonders what happened. As I sifted through the work of the young 20 something I once was I became inspired by what I could have been, or, maybe still can be. Although I cannot return to the past I hope to regain some of what I had. To shut up the inner critic. To allow the creative process to happen. This is an issue that has been bothering me greatly these days. In other words, I don't feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing and have allowed myself to be bogged down by distractions, excuses, self doubt and the option of another day. Ultimately, I'm a creative type and I'm doing very little creatively. Many people I know would probably be surprised that I even consider myself a creative type.

So, Why just go off and travel? Why not get on with it? Aren't I just delaying things in a sense. Well, the truth is I love to travel and travel really recharges me. It's what I do when I get back home that gets me sidetracked.

So, what are my creative talents? Well, I consider myself a decent writer but was once much more clever in my descriptions. I'm also a singer songwriter. My voice has changed over the years and as of late, on a rare occasion when I actually play for someone, the response is very positive. I have an eye for art, an ear for music, and a keen sense for good work. When given a challenge that requires a puzzling solution I'm generally pretty good at it. There are a countless number of creative avenues I could be taking and aside of my success in creating a freestyle lifestyle I'm falling short in too many areas.

The upside is that I'm absolutely fed up with this personal issue and am taking the necessary steps to to remedy the riddle. I am trying to be mindful not to repeat patterns that have led to circles of quandary. When I return to Houston after my upcoming excursion I will be moving out of my current place of residence in order to mix things up a bit. I once had an artist tell me that he wouldn't get anything done unless he set deadlines so I'm setting deadlines. As a self proclaimed artist of sorts I need a framework. Right now I have some tools but the canvas is still in shrink wrap.

Ok, So where am I going. Well, I'll let you know when I get there. I've got a ticket, a time, and a starting destination.

1 comment:

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.