August 18, 2009

Preparing For Healthy Travel - India & S.E. Asia


Lately I have been reading up on how to stay healthy while traveling through India and S.E. Asia. I’ve gotten the necessary shots and have made a decision on how to protect myself from Malaria and mosquito borne illnesses. For Malaria protection I’ll opt for a low daily dose of Doxycycline which not only protects against the Malaria parasite but a number of bacterial bugs. The only real side affect is an increased sensitivity to sun with a possibility of getting burned easier. It wouldn’t be the best choice if I were desiring to lay on a beach all day but since I’m not fair skinned I should be fine. Along with Doxy I’ll outfit myself with insect shield clothing. It’s constructed of a fabric that’s been treated with permathrin. Once the fabric has been treated and set it offers enormous protection with no oder and no toxicity to humans. I’ll also be carrying a lightweight permathrin treated mosquito net for sleeping in accommodations where mosquito's may be present. During the first half of the trip it will still be the rainy season, for some of the areas I plan to visit, so it’s a good idea to take precautions.

The most likely potential cause of illness is usually related to food and water. For this trip I’ll pretty much be a vegetarian and will eat quite simply. Raw foods need to be peeled and or washed thoroughly with potable water. I’ll stick to local fare at reasonably nice busy places and will abstain from ordering dishes not common to the culture. For water I’ll select main brand bottled varieties and will be careful to check the seal. I’ll also carry a pocket size Steri Pen UV filter as a backup. It consists of small UV light that you simply swirl around the water for a minute or two and kills everything bacterially and virally harmful. It’s quite magical and hard to believe it actually works but it's fully approved, effective, and recommended by travel clinics everywhere.

Aside of food and water the other thing to be aware of is travel fatigue. When the body is worn down from culture shock and being on the move all the time it's important to take time to slow down and simply chill out. For short trips of 2 weeks or less it may make sense to do as much as you can and recover after the vacation. Many people do that. Especially Americans who usually only get 2 weeks a year vacation time. For those who are traveling longer it’s a good idea to take a few extra days here and there in places that are easy and relaxing in order to catch up on rest. Being run down just increases the potential for getting sick.

I find tropical and third world health to be fascinating. When reading up on all of the potential illnesses and bugs one can acquire while traveling in such places I sometimes question why I’d want to subject myself to the risk. Well, the reality is that many people live long healthy lives in most environments despite whatever health risks may exist. Perhaps there is added protection from generations who have adapted but still most everyone living in a certain region is just as vulnerable to getting ill as any traveler is. The key to staying healthy is to educate oneself and make good decisions while visiting countries where various health risks are present.

Once the trip begins it’s important not to worry. Will I eat at places I’d rather not? Very likely.. Will I eat or drink something and question what I just ate or drank? Probably. Will I get bit by mosquito's? Who doesn’t?…. A person can only control so much and take so many precautions. Anyone who thinks they are in control of everything in their life is certainly mistaken. Travel is all about letting go and letting it happen without worrying about it. You just do what you can and enjoy the ride. More than likely you come out the other side just fine. For me, right now, the rewards of foreign travel far outweigh the risks and the risks can definitely be minimized…..

No comments: