August 3, 2009

Next Stop - Asia

It’s 95 degrees at 6 pm. To my left is a mineral water and to my right is Shiner Hefewiezen. Both bottles are dripping with sweat. I sit in the way of a stiff breeze created by a large fan. Protected by the shade of “Antidote” coffee shop, I type on my mini laptop….

The ticket is booked. In mid September I will satisfy my desire for more exotic travel. Full immersion. Backpacker style. Bus trips, trains, boats and the necessary flight across the ocean. Destinations to be visited include India, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam. I’ll loosely prepare a loose itinerary and as usual, just let it happen. Not without a bit of fore thought though.

Today I visited a Travelers clinic. Just wanted to make sure I was up to date with the latest health and safety alerts, vaccines, etc. I am quite fascinated by tropical medicine but I certainly hope I do not contract a tropical disease. Knowing what to be aware of and preparing accordingly can greatly reduce the risk. Malaria can be dealt with quite reasonably but Japanese Encephalitis? Three very expensive shots of god knows what for protection that’s not a 100%. No, I think I’ll pass. Deet will be my friend as I’ll learn to like wearing long sleeves and pants in the tropics. The nurse at the clinic rattled off a couple of other mosquito born illnesses that there are no preventative methods for other than not getting bit. Hmmm, shouldn't I be worried. Mildly concerned yes, worried no….

Whenever I feel like I’m on the right track and am doing what I love to do I feel peaceful. Right now I’m feeling really good about my decision to travel to Asia. It feels like the right time. I have allotted 3 months for a reason.

I expect the first 2 weeks to be the most challenging as I let go and really fall into the flow. That’s when the magic happens. Sometimes it will be fun and other times it will be difficult but that’s what makes it an adventure. I’m not going on a vacation. I’m looking for an experience. The places I’ll be visiting and the way I’ll be going about it is so drastically different from what I experience in my day to day life in America. True culture shock is a given but I don’t know which will be more difficult. When I first arrive in New Delhi or when I arrive back in Houston 3 months later.

Currently I’m planning my departure by obtaining visa’s beforehand, getting necessary affairs in order, etc. I've found that getting visa’s beforehand can save yourself quite a bit of hassle and sometimes even a little money. Some place you arrive, fill out a form, pay your fee and your good to go. Other times you can get held up for days in a place you would rather not be. Despite anyone’s gripe about American bureaucracy it actually works splendidly compared to the rest of the world.

Aside of experiencing the culture, sights and sounds I intend to write regularly and to live up to my title as “World Traveler and Thinker” wholeheartedly…. In the meantime I’m busy working and getting it together.

No comments: