April 27, 2009

Great Beer, Good Service, No Need To Tip ! Feeling Fine In Mornin...


Two pints and you will feel fine in the mornin… Here in the Uk a pint of beer is 20 U.S. ounces filled to top at a current exchange price of $3.75 with no expectation to tip. I stick to the Real Ales. Straight from a cask and hand pumped into a glass void of the excessive demon C02 which I am convinced is a major element in causing the dreaded hangover. Two pints of real ale and I experience no ill affect whatsoever. I've even experimented with drinking a pint for lunch and hiking 10 miles afterwords with no repercussions. Actually, I think a pint of real ale enhances hiking performance. Back in the states if I have one 12 ounce bottle of fizzy lager I’m well on my way to un-productivity. A couple of more and I’m a slug. More than 3 and I’ll feel like crap the next day. Three pints of real ale and I feel fine the following day. Not to mention that Real Ale tastes far better than just about anything your going to find in America. Notice I said America. That includes Central and South as well....

American beer is expensive. First of all a pint in the USA is closer to 14 ounces and there’s likely to be a layer of foam on top so your actually getting around 12 ounces. Last night I saw lady pour a beer like an American bar tender. There must have been a half inch of foam on top. She no sooner put it out in front of the customer that he commented, “Almost full”… She quickly took it back and filled it to the top. A decent American micro brew will run you a minimum of $4 for a poorly poured 12 ounce pint. To add insult to injury a $1 tip is pretty much the standard. So, it’s five or six dollars for a beer that will probably make you feel lousy the next morning if more than three are consumed…. What kind of value is that ????

One of the things I really like about the Pubs in the UK is that tipping is not expected. Your welcome to leave a little change at the bar if you want but it’s not necessary. If you order food from the bar you don’t have to tip. The only time you tip is if you sit down at a restaurant for dinner. That’s where a 10% gratuity is customary. Overall, service is good despite not having a tip custom. There won’t be anyone checking on you every five minutes to see if you need anything but you will be well taken care of most all of the time.
Imagine if the States had a pub that served Real Cask Ales along with good hearty food and tipping was not expected…. I wonder how that would go over ?.... Has it ever been done ? Just a thought……

1 comment:

Dave Piper said...

Please locate a pub with both UK Ales and Gulf Coast Blues and I'll hike right over. In the meantime we will hoist a St. Arnolds for you at Valhalla tonight!