June 30, 2019

Something Amiss

I was supposed the leave the Island of Gavdos today but he seas are crazy! A strong wind kicked up yesterday and just kept getting stronger. The calm waters of Faros beach have turned mean with fairly large waves, strong currents, and a hard shore break. The horizon is full of whitecaps. It’s definitely not swimming friendly at the moment and the two ferries that would normally run today were canceled. Oh well, not a problem really. I’m not on a strict schedule. I was warned that this could happen.

Yesterday I didn’t do much aside of find a good coffee and finally meet Lily. I’ve run into Zoey a few times and it was while getting a coffee that I saw Zoey again. She was able to talk with a local woman who told me exactly where Lily lives. So, after coffee I went and met Lily. We visited for about an hour. She’s a character. I’ll leave it at that.

Flying solo, keeping a distance, and to myself has it’s pluses. It’s kept me out of trouble. Knock on wood, I’m pretty good at that. Also, never being into a party scene while traveling helps as well. Things are not always what they appear on the surface and the facade of a friendly face in a tourist destination can be just that. A facade. The gut doesn’t lie and for most the most part I follow it well unless I second guess. As long as I don’t get in the way of myself I make good decisions. Again, knock on wood.

Generally I travel more or less as an observer. I don’t get much involved with anyone and when I do it’s usually an individual, similar to me, who is also traveling. I might wind up splitting the cost of a rental, tour, or something of the sort. For the most part I check out local sites, historic areas, and focus on the natural beauty while keeping to myself.

Greece, although a paradise of sorts may not be all that it seems when it comes to it’s people. Unfortunately, the flip side of paradise can anything but. Initially Greeks come across as friendly and for the most part honest. I’ll assume most are. However, a foreigner and their money will always be welcomed but I tend to think it’s mainly about the money. A seemingly sincere persona may just be a front. Tourists come and go and playing a role is part of the game in making money. I get it.

As a tourist it’s fun to let ones guard down a little and assume all is well. Maybe it is but Greece, although safe if not very safe for the most part, does give me a slight pause. Although, I feel good vibes on Gavdos, while focusing on natural beauty, hiking, and a swim in the sea something seems amiss. I feel a hesitation of sorts and I really don’t connect with the people.

Although all is well I’ll be ready to leave the island and don’t see myself returning. There are many more islands to visit and every island has it’s unique character and characters. Regardless, I will have enjoyed my time on Gavdos but a week is enough. However, with that being said, the typical tourist will tell you Gavdos is Paradise. I’m just not so sure.

1 comment:

Franco said...

And that’s all we get about Lily?

Last night we caught Aida at the Arena in Verona. The cast and orchestra must have numbered over 500. Big show. But the best part was the conversation I had with a retired wholesale coffee seller from Salerno. Regretting that I didn’t get his phone and/or address. Life is all anout relationships.