January 27, 2018

Great Barrier Island, NZ



Walking from Port Fitzroy up and over Mt Hobson to Whangaparapara then to Medlands Beach and Tryphena is good for a re-set. The hiking trails are fantastic, the beaches are idyllic and the waterfall pools are divine for swimming. Crowds? What crowds? I shared a campsite with one other hiker, a hut with 4 others, and then a campsite all to myself. This weekend is what I was told would be a busy 3 day holiday so now I am sharing a good sized shady beach campground with 8 other camps. There’s plenty of room. No revelers, no boozers, just people enjoying themselves. Most anywhere else in the world such a place would be a disaster on a holiday weekend but not the Great Barrier Island of New Zealand. A little slice of heaven.


Not a bad place to be if the rest of the world blows up. No central power or utilities. People are self reliant and well organized. The roads are very good and things are quite well laid out. The campgrounds and trails are excellent as well as the mountain huts. The windward side hosts some great surf beaches while the leeward side offers quiet coves popular for boaties.


To get to the Great Barrier Island you either take a daily 4 ½ hour ferry ride or you fly 30 minutes on a ferry small plane that puts the excitement back into flying. Otherwise, you hitch a ride on private boat.


I took the ferry. The ride over was beautiful with few people and calm seas under sunny clear skies.


The climate is sub tropical but the island has every bit the feel of tropical minus the hotter temps and tropical diseases. The locals drink the water right out of the streams and the mosquitoes are nothing to be feared. Just a nuisance. Most everyone is very friendly. Yesterday I chose to walk along a road from one side of the island to the other. Five separate cars stopped along the way and asked if I would like a ride. It was quite impressive considering there are not many cars on the Island. I declined as I was happy to walk.


It’s kind of difficult not to feel better and start to unwind on an Island like Great Barrier. Another week of this and I might start to feel like my old self again.





No comments: