July 22, 2014

I Saw The Queen Of Belgium!


Today is an official do nothing day even though I’ve been surfing the internet for half the day. I also went for a nice run in the morning. Belgium has turned into a pit stop as I continue to catch up with Richard at his home in the countryside near Leuven. He and his family invited me to continue our visit at their place. When they left Nieuwpoort I hopped a train as their car was way too packed. The train was very reasonably priced, easy, and I like trains. Typical of most Europeans is that they drive small cars and when they go on vacation they pack it FULL.
The countryside around Richard’s is nothing too special but very nice and pleasant. There’s a wide variety of bike routes and trails. I’m especially impressed by the numbered bike routes and how they are well marked with tin signs at intersections.

On Sunday I joined the family as we dropped off their son at a scout tent camp in a region of the country known as the Ardenne. On Monday it was Belgium Independence day so Richard and I went to Brussels where we saw the Queen of Belgium waving from a car at the beginning of a large military parade. We also got a chance to roam the streets a bit.
Something interesting in a nearby park was a good display old United States World War Two vehicles and related items with some re-enactment sets. When the war in Europe ended, the Americans left a wealth of goods, equipment, etc. that wasn’t worth bringing back to the states. Over the years it’s all been picked up by collectors and war buffs throughout Europe. Many of the Belgians displaying their jeeps and trucks were wearing original American WW2 attire.  The reason for the display was to pay tribute to WW2 allied forces as Belgium Independence day seems to be mostly about honoring the military and those who have served. In one set they did a really good job of showing what a U.S. Military PX (store for soldiers) looked like when allied forces took over. A Belgian woman speaking French in period attire hosted the site.

Richard and his wife Carla continue to spoil me with their gracious generosity. I must move on in couple of days before I get too comfortable. The timing for the visit seems to be perfect and it’s been a really good chance for me to catch up on rest. Their home is in a rural setting and situated on a plot of land near railroad tracks beneath the flight path of jets coming into land at Brussels. There’s also a rooster next door that crows just about any time but more so early in the morning. The sounds of planes, trains, and roosters don’t bother me.
As is the case with most long term travel the lovely question as to what to do next comes knocking at different stages in the journey. Sometimes a, “I’ve had enough”, feeling comes on but after a few days it goes away and I embark on new segment. Other times it’s a, “Ok! Let’s do that!”, kind of feeling.  Sometimes it's just time to go home. Right now the feeling for me is somewhere in between as I ponder the next step.

From Brussels I can easily get to just about anywhere in Europe. The online ride boards offer plenty of options. Buses, planes, and most trains are reasonably priced. Part of me wants to return to England, do a little walking, and head on home. Another part of me wants to see a few more places I’ve never been. After all, I know it's Damn Hot In Houston, Texas right now!

One thing for sure is that the summer holiday season in Europe is now set full throttle until the end of August. Tourist crowds can definitely detract from a number of options.

1 comment: