September 13, 2013

Departing Hiroshima - Now Kyoto















The instructions for my bus ticket I booked online were to meet in front a 7/11 not far from the Hiroshima train station and look for a Willer Bus sign. I showed up early and found the sign without any problem. Since I had plenty of time I wandered over to the train station and purchased my ticket for the bullet train to Tokyo from Kyoto on the 18 of September.

When I returned to the bus stop there was a film crew and a group of official looking people. I noticed a woman wearing a hat with the bus company logo. She had my name on a list. While other passengers started showing up a nice big fancy bus rolled up and the camera’s and crew went at it. The bus was full of people from Tokyo and the driver quickly and professionally unloaded while he was being filmed and observed. I was told it was not my bus and the bus left.

A few minutes later an empty bus showed up. While standing in line to board an man was approaching each one of use and explaining what was going on. I was handed a two sided sheet with exclamation but everything was in Japanese so I was just kind of trying to figure it out. The only person who spoke English was a woman coordinating the passengers. She started to explain with, “We have very strict…..”, but was distracted and had to deal with something else.

The driver for my bus was definitely on his A++ game as he checked each one of us on his list and loaded luggage. Officials with armbands jotted notes and video rolled with soundman in cue. It really didn’t look like a film crew for a commercial. I reasoned it out and came to the conclusion that it was some kind of quality control test and/or study.

There are many things I like about Japan but one that really stands out is that the culture seems to live up to a much higher quality standard across the board when it comes to doing any job. I don’t care if it’s a corner chain coffee shop, 7/11, or a top corporate official, people care more about what they are doing and how it’s done. The old adage of do it right and do it well, no matter what the job is, appears to be an attitude that’s alive and well in Japan.

The bus from Hiroshima was very nice and right on time. It was an express with a stop in Osaka. The ride was made even more comfortable with carefully scheduled rest room stops at very nice highway rest stations.

The Japanese are very considerate and much more others minded compared to just about everywhere else I’ve ever been. I read over an information card in the front seat pocket informing foreigners of proper bus etiquette. “Please refrain from foods which have strong smell or make sounds”. Talking on any mobile device while on any form of public transportation is strictly forbidden.

I didn’t realize what the guy in front of me was talking about as he looked over his seat back. I kind of brushed him off but figured it out, when reading the info card, that he was just trying to kindly let me know that he was about to put his seat back. That would never happen in the USA.

On arrival in Kyoto I made my way to the subway and was trying to sort out the ticket machine when a young Japanese college student speaking perfect American English stepped up to help. Her English was so good I almost thought she wasn’t Japanese. She had arrived on the same bus and informed me that Hiroshima is her hometown. I would have like to talk with her more since I haven’t really had much of a conversation with anyone in Japan but she sped off as I boarded the subway for my accommodation.

Walking down the alley looking from the Nashinoki Inn made me feel like I was back to my normal backpacker ways and really in Asia. Nights in Business hotels at bargain prices had me a bit insulated from traditional Japan. In all honesty though I probably would have stayed in a modern hotel but Kyoto is more expensive and books up, especially over the weekends. I needed a place for five nights which was kind of hard to find at a relatively reasonable price.

When I arrived at my accommodation I was greeted by a nice elderly lady by the name of Toyoko. She brought me a cold glass of tea and a cup of yogurt with raisins while I filled out a registration card. She and her husband opened the hotel in 1970 but he passed 4 years ago. She now manages it alone with an assistant. It’s a Ryokan in true Japanese style with Tatami floors, futon, low table with chair, and shared bath facilities. Toyoko lives on the ground floor and the upstairs contains 6 small rooms with thin plaster walls, wavy creaking floors, and plenty of character. In reality it’s more like guest house or hostel. It’s close to what I envisioned but anyone expecting a hotel in the western sense might be a little confused and disappointed. Those looking for quirky and authentic would be quite pleased. It’s kind of like staying with a Japanese grandmother in her old home.

Naturally it’s dated but clean, comfortable, and homey. A nice bonus is that there’s a nice selection of bikes for guest to use for free. Otherwise a daily rental runs around $10.

For the first night I was the only guest but she informed me it would be full for the rest of my stay. She originally had me in a larger room in a high traffic area next to a restroom and stairs. I asked if I could move to a smaller corner room that I thought might be quieter with a full house. I kind of felt a little guilty for putting her through the trouble. If the guests are Japanese it will probably be very quiet regardless. The Japanese are not loud people.

Well, I've got four days in Kyoto so I better get out and see it.....

No comments: