January 1, 2013

Taking A Stand

What do you stand for? What do you believe in? In the world of relativity and political correctness modern society has become splintered and polarized. Most people choose to fall into a safety net of non-controversial grey when it comes to expressing what they really think or feel. See it however you want. Whatever is right for you is right. Absolute truth doesn’t exist except for those that society characterizes as intolerant and closed minded. Those who do express what they believe in don’t always back it up very well. Both sides of an argument cite biased and unreliable sources while engaged in heated political debates set upon a weak foundation of emotion. Blame is placed on the other and no one takes responsibility. If everyone just did the right thing there would be very few problems in the world, however, doing the right thing has become more relative than ever.

I consider myself an independent free thinker and a reasonable person who could care less what someone does with their own life on their own time as long as they are not hurting anyone else. That’s how I see myself. Live and let live. I can get along well with most anyone but I do have my opinions.

I’ve experimented with expressing various opinions on Facebook. Political and non political. When doing so only a few respond to anything controversial. Sometimes a little banter back and forth ensues with a few heated comments for a day or two then it’s back to silly posts of last night’s dinner or a picture of someone’s cat. After a while I might delete the thread altogether. After all, it was just an experiment. Facebook is a wonderful medium for misunderstanding and expressing misdirected frustrations. A lot of people have a hard time seeing all sides of an issue whether or not they agree or disagree.

So what do I believe in? What do I stand for? This is the question I ask myself. What’s my true character? What’s my moral and ethical code? As imperfect as I am I do feel I have a strong sense of right and wrong. At times I feel a bit isolated and disconnected from contemporary society but I enjoy being social and interacting with people all over the world. In some ways I could be considered conservative and old fashioned as Christian principles provide an element of structure to my life.

In a world of relativity where I believe morals and ethics are severely eroding one must stand firm or get swept along into whatever seems arguably justified at the time. Some things you compromise, some things you don't. Change is constant but not all change good. Today, in my opinion, people justify just about anything without taking many things into consideration. A person can choose to stay true to who they are or subscribe to the non-committal realm of whatever like a fashionable chameleon. We all have a choice.

Some of the most well respected yet controversial individuals are those who stood/stand up for something. Jesus comes to mind. A person may be seen as good, bad or indifferent before the judge and court of society but only absolute truth provides a genuine assessment of one’s actual character. What then is absolute truth and where does it originate? What’s the platform? It takes a lot of guts to stand up for the truth. When taking a stand you will be judged.

No comments: