July 23, 2012

Coloradio















As of late I've been blowin in the wind looking for an answer. I've tired of my routine in Houston and feel as though I've more or less played it out. In the midst of lukewarm motivation I decided a road trip might be a good idea. With no real plan I threw my camping gear, hiking boots, a few clothes and a map in my car.

Not really feeling a pull any particular direction but feeling a desire to move along I decided it made the most sense to first roll up to Colorado and catch up with friends and family. A few miles of hiking, morning runs on mountain trails and a conversations over a few beers with friends might foster a little more inspiration to go one direction or another.

Spending time with family and friends you care about is never a waste of time. A big upside to the way I live is that I have a lot of flexibility. While most people are bogged down with schedules and commitments it's far easier for me to make myself available on the terms and schedules of others. Relationships of any sort take time and ultimately its the relationships with people that make life the most meaningful. We help, inspire, and learn from one another. Although I can be quite self absorbed at times I feel a great importance to balance my time in life with other people. Perhaps this is something I should be a little more mindful of. As much as I enjoy my time alone, doing whatever I want, I'm feeling like I need to shift my focus and balance things out a bit.

I've been in the Denver/Boulder area for the last two weeks. My mothers home is looking better. A rock garden has been replaced with sod and few more walls have been painted. I spent some goofy good times with my 11 year old nephew and bowled my best game ever with a 215. I watched my buddy Corwin wrangle a bull snake, herd some turkeys, and tend to his bees as we engaged in good conversation that comes with knowing someone for 28 years. A passing rain shower didn't get in the way of enjoying an outdoor “Kansas” concert with my sister and brother in law. “Carry on my Wayward Son”.

I've also made a little time to get up into the hills. Last Friday I hiked along the Continental Divide up and over the14,000 ft. peaks of Grays and Torreys. For extra credit I headed cross country to the 13,000 Mt. Kelso. It was a glorious day of walking that made me feel like I could be quite content just tramping around the Colorado Rockies for the summer. With all of the international traveling I've done over the last few years its easy to overlook and forget just how incredible the American West is. The only thing it lacks for me is cultural exotic experience. 

Tomorrow I'll drive on to Aspen and visit some friends I haven't seen in quite awhile. I lived in Aspen for a number of years and know the area well. It will be nice to drop back into some old familiarity and see what's changed, stayed the same etc. From there we'll see where I go next. I am a bit intrigued what a drive up to Alaska might be like?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep it up.
Zion Frank

Anonymous said...

Keep it up.
Zio Frank