February 7, 2012

A Note From Domincal

I wasn´t sure if I was going to stop in Domincal or not but when I got off the bus and walked around the the corner, off a dusty mainstreet, to a view large waves coming in regualar sets, I thought it might be a good idea to kick back with an Imperial and watch the surfers.

Domincal is an dusty, edgy surf town where things haven´t changed much since American, European, and Australian surfers descended upon it years ago. Surfing is more or less my favorite armchair sport so the village kind of appeals to me. I checked into a nicer little more expensive place with my own bathroom and air conditioning for the night. Sometimes you just need a little bit of luxury. I stopped by the backpacker places first but non were too appealing. I then headed to a beachside restaurant bar for a large piece of fresh fish (Dorado) with rice, beans and cerveza.

The bar was full of people from somewhere else. Some arrived years ago while others just a few months ago. A super fit early middle aged bronzed surfer chick worked the bar and cranked ganster rap over a boom box. I don´t much care for ganster rap but with edgy surfers amidst swaying palm trees and dudes ripping the curl in the horizon, the music seemed appropriate. Una mas cerveza, por favor. For me its a one or two night town.

On another note my mini laptop is in on the skids and unless it mysteriously repairs itsfelf it´s No Funciona, Kaputz, Broke and Done Did. After bumping around the backpack through numerous countries I guess it´s time is up. The downside is that I´m not sure how convenient or inspiring blogging will be during the remainder of my trip. Cest la Vie.

My general plans for the next week are to climb Mt Chirripo, the highest mountain in Costa Rica, then trek around the Oso Peninsula.

No comments: