February 21, 2011

Plans Emerging - A Post From The Black Hole

I'm still plugging away here in Texas but things are about to get more interesting. I was hoping to make a trip down to Central America during the winter but due to some good money making opportunities and more ambitious travel ideas I’ve chosen to stay Houston bound.

I’m currently sitting in funky Houston coffee shop located in a small mid century side street shopping center. The floor is concrete and all of the furniture is of 1950’s and 60’s design. My mini laptop computer sits on a long thin dark wood grained “garage sale special” coffee table with a fishbowl containing a blue fish named Sally Marouge. I thought for sure the person sitting across from me was a 20 year old young man but now I think he’s a girl. It appears as though I’m one of the only ones who doesn’t have a Mac laptop. Dreamy steel guitar laden music fills the void at just the right volume. They call this place the Black Hole. Neon sign on order, due to arrive soon……. It’s a delightful venue for planning the next journey.

Life is starting to get a little more exciting as I’m putting a plan to paper. By the end of the week I should have a ticket and a new adventure will start to take shape. I plan to be on my way at the beginning of April. Between now and then I’ll be incredibly busy but by time I leave things should be in good order so I can surrender to the serendipity and flow that travel tends to create. I’ll reveal my general plan once a ticket is secured. I’m also considering what I’ll do once I return to the states. By the end of the week I intend to have a good idea as to what I’m doing for the next year or so. As always, nothing is set in stone in order to allow for unforeseen obstacles and/or possibilities.

My life is somewhat split between two lives. One is the stay put head down worker in pursuit of fuel for freedom otherwise known as money. While in this mode I can be more or less content living within a relatively predictable day to day twenty mile radius. The other side of me is a world traveler backpacker flying on the wings of loose plans. Regardless of whichever side I’m on I eventually get tired so I jump to the other side. Needless to say the bank account often dictates the when this will happen. In the in-betweens that fall between I wrestle with the issue of higher purpose and meaning but I think I might be getting a better handle on it. As always I feel very fortunate to have the freedom to pursue my zeal for experiencing new things. I think this puts me in a unique position to be available for something bigger beyond myself. I can’t say I’ve gotten there yet but I feel like I’m getting closer. Just don’t ask me about it.

On another note I’m still abstaining from alcohol which has been remarkably easy and refreshing. I think I just kind of tired of it for awhile and don't need the distraction right now. That along with doing Yoga on a regular basis has been really good for my mind. The Yoga center I go to takes a fitness centered approach towards Yoga and aside of closing with a Namaste doesn’t touch on the spiritual foundation but it seems to be having a spiritual affect on me in a number of subtle ways. The yogis of India say practice, practice, practice and things will happen. Simple as that. It’s all a mystery but very positive in my experience.

Now? Back to work....

No comments: