November 9, 2010

North Carolina Appalachians - Asheville














When I woke up Saturday morning in Asheville, North Carolina it was snowing. Within a short period of time there was an inch on the ground. As I stepped outside I was quickly reminded of how much of an aversion to cold weather I've developed. I guess I used up all of my winter weather tolerance while living in mountains of Colorado and California. Luckily, it's still a little early for winter and the snow was just a teaser for what's to come later in the year.

For the last couple of days the weather has been very nice. The nights are cold but the days are comfortable. During my stay in Asheville I'm visiting a friend who's set me up with a vacation condo for free. It belongs to his mothers friend who has graciously made it available and I have the place to myself for a week.

My main reason for stopping in Asheville is to visit my friend Tim who I worked with during my Forest Service days in Aspen. While I moved on to other interest Tim was able to hop on a career path. After years in Colorado he was offered a position at the Asheville ranger district and moved here a couple of years ago.

My time is being spent hiking and running on trails, checking out the sites, and simply catching up with Tim and his family. Fortunately, I've arrived in time to catch a little fall color. The trees have lost most of their leaves but there are still some areas of read and yellow.

No comments: