November 6, 2009

How Much Did I Pay For That?


“How much is that in Pounds?” “Well in dollars it comes out to around 3 bucks.”So then, how many dollars to the Kip? I mean, how many Kip to the dollar?” “I’m not really sure because all I have are Baht and I keep getting it confused with the Rupee but I think you want to take out the maximum from the ATM which is 700,000. Kip that is. Oh, I think it’s 7,000 Kip to the dollar but maybe it’s 10,000. I’m not sure”. “Ok, what’s the exchange for Pound to dollars right now?” I think it’s about a buck 50. Buck 60? I need to look it up”.

“Is it better to pay with Kip, Baht, or Dollars?” “I think if we pay with Baht it comes out to 3 dollars more. I don’t want to use my dollars so I’m paying with Kip. But wait. I don’t have enough Kip. Darn I gotta pay an ATM fee of who knows what to take out another 700,000 Kip which equals about 60 Euros?”. “Euros? But what about dollars and Pounds?”

“Alright I got the banana pancake, stir fried vegetables and rice. Mine comes out to 27,000. Wait, did I add that up right. Nope, I forgot the bottled water. That’s another 6,000”. “Don’t worry about it you got the water last night. Hey, Did I pay you for the bus ticket yesterday?”. “I think so, don’t worry about it.” “Ok, lets pay the bill. It’s 55,000. Is that right?”. “Here’s my money. I think this is a 1,000. No, it’s 10,000. Does this look like a 20 to you? I mean 20,000”. “Wow, this money is really pretty. Look at the farmers. Hey, there’s a hammer and sickle”. “Oh, all I have is a 50,000 bill”. “Ok, here’s 5,000. We’ll sort it out later. We always do”.

The Laos Kip has me and Deb all mixed up. And to think, when we arrive in Vietnam we’ll have to deal with the Dong….

No comments: