October 2, 2009

India - After 2 1/2 Weeks

I’ve been traveling India now for 2 ½ weeks and I’m thoroughly adjusting. What at first was extremely overwhelming now doesn’t seem so bad. I’ve figured out the trains, buses, what a rickshaw should cost, and have gotten better at shaking the hassles. Crazy doesn’t seem so crazy and I’m actually getting kind of comfortable with it all. Staying in a reasonably nice accommodation and finding a good restaurant for dinner make all the difference. When I’ve had enough for the day I retreat to my hotel, lock the door, wash up and relax. After a good night’s sleep I’m ready for it all again. What’s interesting now is that I’m kind of getting a high out of it. There’s something about the energy and intensity of India and how it heightens and assaults all of the senses that’s now giving me a buzz. Being in a relatively sedate area of Udaipur kind of makes me feel like I’m missing something. It’s not the real India. It’s the white washed India for tourist. I enjoy a lovely rooftop view of Lake Palace but while doing so I’m in the bubble. Life outside of the bubble is what makes traveling India so interesting. As a fellow traveler once told me, “India, you will hate it the first two weeks but after that you will love it”. I can’t say I’m loving it but there’s definitely something I like about it.

No comments: