July 15, 2009

On The Road















I left Crestone for a drive down the cosmic highway to "Great Sand Dunes National Park" where I pitched camp for a couple of nights. After a night at the dunes I hiked two miles up a trail and bushwacked through timber to find my way above treeline. Hiking further upwards atop scree and boulders I reached the 13,848 ft. summit California Peak. From the top I could see the sand dunes and the trailhead that I started from 5,000 feet below....

The grotto at Zapata falls provided a relaxing break after the climb. I thought about the climb, the views, the beautiful weather and laundry. A brief late afternoon trip to Alamoso was in order. I quickly located a laundramat and visited the antique junk shop next door. Bought some 60's R&B records for $4 dollars. I then went to a local coffee shop for a smoothie and browsed Facebook while camera battery charged..... Back to the dunes.... Beans and macaroni never tasted so good. Off to sleep. Awake at 1 am to fierce windstorm. Back to sleep. Awake at 6 am. Calm and cool....

I hiked to the top of High Dune first thing in the morning. Wandered around the dunes like a lost fool in a 1930's western. Found my way back to camp. Packed up. Drove south towards New Mexico. Filled the tank of my Subaru Outback with 85 octance $2.65 gas. Drove south to New Mexico. Pitched camp near Toas ski mountain and wandered around the town of Taos. Tomorrow I'll hike up the highest mountian in New Mexico....

No comments: