June 3, 2009

For The Record

A couple of years ago I owned a copy of the first record ever put out by the Sun Recording lable. A Joe Hill Louis 78 rpm in Mint condition. Not knowing much about the rarity of the record I thought a $500 offer from a British collector was a good deal and hastily took it. Especially since I picked it up for nothing when I was a kid. The book gave it a value of $200 so I thought I was doing pretty well. However, no sooner had I sold and shipped that I got a bad feeling about the deal. I’ve been haunted ever since. Today I found out that a dealer has one for sale at an asking price of, get this, $20,000 !!!!!!!!!!!! Well, dealers can ask whatever they want but that doesn’t mean anyone will pay. Regardles, I obviously sold too cheap and foolishly did so.

When I learned of this I then began to think of other bad deals I have made. Like the time I invested my savings into the stock market during the late 90’s and watched it disolve into a pittance by the end of 2001. I was told, “Ride it out like a buckaroo”, “Don’t worry, it can’t go any lower” and “ You haven’t lost until you’ve sold”. Through experience I’ve found these statements often times to be false. I then went on to think of more depressing scenarios of financial woes. I'm sure everyone can relate to one degree or another. The good thing is that I’ve learned a thing or two.

If someone is quick to offer you a lot of money for something don’t take it unless your absolutely sure of what your selling and when you sell, forget about it. When everyone is getting into the market get out. When everyone is getting out of the market get out. I’ve also learned….Happy hour beer in can isn’t so bad and that a cheese enchilada dinner at a Tex Mex restaurant in Houston is usually a very good value.

On a more positive note I can see that through various financial experiences I’ve actually gained a little wisdom. I think back to a few trips I made to Vegas while working for a limo company. When in Vegas I usually allow myself to lose $20 and get a lot of entertainment out of it. My method is to sit at a nickel video poker machine along a busy aisle and play a nickle at a time. While gambling a waitress usually comes around offering free drinks. I order a Heinekin and tip a dollar so the waitress will come back. Since I’m sitting in a busy aisle the people watching is generally good. I win a bit and lose a bit but invariably I lose the $20, albeit slowly. I then walk around and observe. You can learn a lot by simply observing and I have a really good tip. When in Vegas bet it all on one hand of black jack. You always win the first hand.

Oh yeah, I’ll probably never see another copy of a Joe Hill Louis 78 rpm Sun record so I’m sure I won’t make that mistake again !…

No comments: