May 14, 2009

30 Days In The UK


Cruising at 35,000 feet above the snowy expanses of Labrador I felt this would be a good time to reflect upon the past 30 days. A month now passes in what use to seem like a few days. It feels as though I just left yesterday, however, when I think about all I’ve done I get a better feeling of how long I’ve been gone. Life is full when I travel. Never a dull moment. Like always, it’s nice to be back home for the first few days but it doesn’t take long before I start thinking about the next adventure.

The two weeks on the Pembrokeshire Coast were great. It was nice to have the company of my friend Deb for most of the hike. The days were full of walking interspersed with visits to quaint villages and warm pubs. Upon completion of the Coast Walk I spent a little time in Cardigan and Aberystwyth before hopping a bus to England. I had originally thought that I would go to Ireland or the Mt Snowden Region of Wales after the Coast Path but when I travel I always like to keep plans loose and open for any new possibilities along the way. Before Deb left the Coast Path she extended an invitation for me to visit the Norfolk region. Having the opportunity to spend time with locals is one of the best ways to experience a different culture. Sine I enjoyed Debs company on the walk it only made sense to take her up on the offer which I gladly did.

First I spent time with her father who lives in a village amidst lovely agricultural countryside. I was treated to a couple of days visiting sights, pubs, and an abandoned B 27 airfield that was built by the Americans during WW2. He grew up in a farm house located next to and directly below a B-27 flight path. He was quite proud to show me a piece of shrapnel that fell through the roof of his childhood room as a flaming plane came in for a landing. He had some great stories of the Americans soldiers etc... After a couple of days Deb caught up with me at her fathers and we headed up to the Lower Peaks Region for some walking amidst, open hills tidy villages and Aristocratic Estates…

My final week I got to experience what living in Norwich might be like. Deb arranged for me to stay with her friend Jane who has a large home and is use to roommates. I stayed for a week. On the first evening I met a number of Debs friends at a Pub. As always I tend to like to sit with my back to the wall and in corner if possible. It allows me to see what going on. A psychic once told me I was gun fighter in a past life. Anyway, that’s a different story. At first it was just me and Debs as we ordered pints from the very friendly hospitable manager before I chose the table in the corner. Then people started showing up. A very nice lady in a red dress with red lipstick sat down next to me and got all chatty as she crossed the close talking zone by an inch or two. Her husband sat to my left and we started talking about sailing. Jane showed up with a cider in her hand. Another guy who works on a tanker four weeks on/off was in town and bought me pint. Others followed. All was well and fine until some strange middle aged bald headed guy invited himself to join us and started rambling about something that made no sense and the women seemed put off. I moved to another chair and someone bought me a half pint. For the next week I would find myself in various pubs around Norwich every night. I don’t go out every day at home but in England going out to a pub every evening just kind seems like the thing to do. I quite enjoyed it.

After a couple of days I got to know the layout of Norwich and explored the area by walking and running. Staying at Janes worked out well. While I was there she was busy with her second job which is day trading at home. She would sit at the computer with a cup of tea smoking thin roll your own cigarettes as she nervously watched her trades like a hawk. All the while she seemed to be questioning the pros and cons. “Now it’s going up, I should have bought. Oh no, it’s going down. Wish I’d sold”. Her thought process was sometimes interrupted by a coughing fit. Once the coughing stopped she would say something like, “Why do I smoke? Because I’m stupid. That’s why”. Then she would lite up another cig and go back to trading. From my perspective it was all kind of comical. Jane was good company and easy to be around. I’m very thankful for her hospitality an open door.

In no time I was in with a local group which included Pete. He runs a housing co-op along with some other some real estate which keeps him busy managing things. Pete is a long time local and pub regular. If you know Pete and drop into a pub for one quick pint, forget it. The reality is your closing the place and he will make sure you stay well hydrated as he rattles off one story after another. He’s a colorful character with a big heart.

One day while in Norwich I hopped a train to Cambridge for the afternoon. Wow, what a place! Walking around the university really made me wish I’d had a better attitude towards school as a kid. The buildings, grounds and libraries are all very impressive. I stumbled upon the Trinity college library which is really kind of a mind blower. Shelves and shelves of leather bound books. Many all done by hand and hundreds of years old. You can’t touch any of them but some of the better works can be viewed behind glass. One of my favorites was an original Shakespeare folio from 1601 with previously unreleased works.

For my final day in Norwich Debs and I spent our time walking through the countryside of Norfolk. Of course this was followed by an evening with friends at a Pub. That night I said my goodbyes to Deb and others. Pete gave me Bear hug and wished me well. I enjoyed Norwich and felt like I could have stayed longer but I needed to get to London to catch a flight home……. Ok, just to clear the air for all my friends who may be wondering ??? Although Deb and I spent quite a bit of time together we are strictly friends. Nothing romantic. I imagine Deb and I will cross paths again given our similar interests in travel and walking. Her company, hospitality and invitations really made my trip. I am enormously grateful!

From Norwich I took a train to London and rendezvoused with my friends Susan and Holger. I stayed with them last September on my way to Spain. They live in a nice part of London near Primrose Hill and Regent Parks which are very nice for walking. It was great to catch up with them and I was excited to find out that they are expecting their first child in a few months.

I only had one full day in London so as expected I walked through parks. I also visited the all Elvis store which is located next to the all Beatles store. I passed a few Pubs but by time I arrived in London I was pubbed out. Yes, too much of a good thing can get to be a little too much.

So, there it is. Another trip passed. I once again really enjoyed the Uk with all of its lovely natural beauty, villages and of course, Pubs. I’m not sure when I’ll go back but when I do I’ll likely visit the Cornwall coast next time I’m there. For now I think my next overseas travels will take me somewhere far more foreign and exotic. I’m thinking Asia….

No comments: